Uganda Premier League champions Vipers SC suffered an agonizing 3-1 defeat to rivals KCCA FC on Friday under the MTN Omondi Stadium, Lugogo floodlights.

Muhammad Shaban’s brace and another from Usama Arafat ensured that the Venoms suffered their maiden defeat this season.

Meanwhile, substitute Abubakar Lawal came through with our consolation at the death.

Inspite of the result, the Venoms controlled the ball for the biggest patches of the game, creating multiple chances, albeit, without changing the outcome.

Yunus Sentamu, in the first minute, nearly put us ahead after capitalizing on a defensive mix-up, but his shot sailed inches wide.

Watambala was then twice denied by goalkeeper Joel Emojong and defender Mustafa Mujuzi.

Sentamu, who had suffered from initial bariosy fouls from the KCCA players, nearly struck for the Venoms after restart but his shot sailed wide by margins.

He was minutes later denied by a brilliant block from midfielder Ashraf Mugume.

Meanwhile, despite the result, our head coach Leonard Martins Neiva praised the team’s display and attitude on the night.

“It was a tough game for us but you could see, our ball possession was big but we suffered the first goal in the opening minute and that disorganized us a lot.”

“We tried and tried but KCCA played well, they were clever. We played better but nobody can forget about the results.”

“We missed too many chances but I can’t criticize the players, we lose and win together so we’ll try again,” Neiva added.

Despite the result, Vipers stayed third on the log with 14 points in seven matches, and will host URA FC in the subsequent match, on November 23.

How We Lined Up:

Jack Komakech (GK), Ashraf Mandela, Richard Matovu, Patrick Mbowa, Livingstone Mulondo, Siraje Ssentamu, Milton Karisa (C) Karim Watambala, Abdu Lumala, Erick Kambale, Yunus Sentamu.

Substitutions: Denis Kiggundu, Mohamed Salem Ekbad, Grant Matsiko, Allan Okello, Rodriguez Shamamba, Abubakar Lawal, Isa Mubiru, Rogers Torach, Martin Kizza, Enock Luyima.