STARTIMES UGANDA PREMIER LEAGUE
Friday, September 30th | 4pm
Vipers SC v Soltilo Bright Stars FC
St Mary’s stadium-Kitende
We shall get the 2022/23 StarTimes Uganda Premier League season underway with a St Mary’s Stadium, Kitende encounter against Soltilo Bright Stars FC on Friday.
We will be looking at making a strong start, as we also hope to defend our championship, a title we won with 74 points, 18 ahead of our nearest rivals KCCA FC.
Head Coach Roberto Oliveira alias Robertinho has assured the Venom faithful that the team is fully prepared, mentally upbeat, and hungry as ever.W
“We start tomorrow with an important match against Bright Stars and we have all our attention to it,” said Robertinho to Vipers Media on Thursday.
“I have prepared the team well, with the same style and mentality as last season despite the new faces,” the Brazilian added.
The tactician also reiterated his trust in his staff and the playing personnel, especially the new acquisitions.
He believes each member of the team is up for the task ahead in what promises to be a long season.
“I trust my team, our new players too. We want to continue building one strong big family and repeat the same (success) as last season.”
Vipers is on a 19-game unbeaten run in the league, and we will be hoping to extend it to a 20th at home.
The last time we smelled a loss was in January, a 1-0 defeat to Arua Hill SC. We have gone on to win 16 times and managed just three stalemates.
Last season, we managed victories over Soltilo Bright Stars FC both on home turf and away.
We edged them 1-0 in the first leg, thanks to Yunus Sentamu’s lone strike. The second leg was a 2-1 win, with Halid Lwaliwa and Cesar Manzoki the scorers.
Ahead of this league opener encounter, we take you through some key statistics and figures related to the two clubs meetings since 2013 when Soltilo Bright Stars FC joined the top flight league.
- Vipers and Soltilo Bright Stars will be meeting for the 15th time in the league with the Venoms superior having won 7 times, drawn 7 and without any loss in the previous 14 encounters, we have scored 15 goals against 5.
Head to Head
Vipers wins: 7
Goals for: 15
Goals against: 5
- Soltilo Bright Stars has never beaten Vipers in a competitive fixture hence will be looking for their first ever win over the five time champions.
- Previous 7 meetings between the two teams at Vipers home ground
2014/15:- Vipers 0-0 Soltilo Bright Stars
2015/16:- Vipers 1-0 Soltilo Bright Stars
2016/17:- Vipers 1-1 Soltilo Bright Stars
2017/18:- Vipers 3-2 Soltilo Bright Stars
2018/19:- Vipers 3-0 Soltilo Bright Stars
2020/21:- Vipers 2-0 Soltilo Bright Stars
2021/22:- Vipers 2-1 Soltilo Bright Stars
- Vipers start off the League season in buoyant moods after knocking out Central African Republic outfit Olympic Real De Bangui in the CAF Champions League a fortnight ago on aggregate 4-0.
- Both clubs have been engaged in seven goalless draws out of the 14 previous meetings, a clear testimony that its always a nail biting fixture despite the Venoms having a superior numerical advantage.
All players are available for duty upon selection.
Copyright 2022 Vipers Sports Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.viperssc.co.ug as the source.