STARTIMES UGANDA PREMIER LEAGUE
Match: KCCA FC v Vipers SC
Date: Sunday, May 9, 2021
Venue: MTN Omondi Stadium Lugogo.
Live on Sanyuka TV
All roads will lead to the MTN Omondi stadium at Lugogo this Sunday when defending champions Vipers SC visit KCCA FC in a classic StarTimes Uganda Premier League encounter set to keep fans of either side on tip toes.
It’s bound to be a nail biting contest as the Kasasiro boys desperately labour to close the gap on the Venoms in a bid to stay in contention for the league crown.
As it happens, 9 points separate Vipers from the garbage collectors hence they will desperately stage a fight to remain in touch with the leaders therefore Lugogo won’t be an ideal place for the faint hearted come match day.
Ahead of this anticipated thriller, we take you through some interesting facts, figures and vital statistics related to the previous meetings between the two giants since 2006 when the Venoms joined the top flight division.
- KCCA and Vipers will be meeting for the 32nd time in the league history and the Venoms are slightly ahead with a victory more than the hosts having 12 wins, 8 draws and 11 losses out of the previous 31 meetings, a total of 36 goals against 39 have been registered in the process making it a -3 goal difference.
Vipers wins: 12
Goals for: 36
- KCCA shifted to the Star times stadium at Lugogo during the 2012/13 football season and out of the 8 league fixtures hosted at the venue since then, Vipers counts 2 wins, 2 draws and 4 losses with a total of 7 goals against 9.
Last 5 meetings at Lugogo
2015/16: KCCA 0-0 Vipers
2016/17: KCCA 1-2 Vipers
2017/18: KCCA 3-1 Vipers
2018/19: KCCA 1-1 Vipers
2019/20: KCCA 1-0 Vipers
- However overall, out of the 15 meetings between the two teams hosted by KCCA, the Venoms have registered 5 wins, 3 draws and 7 losses scoring 14 goals as well as conceding 17 in the process.
- Last meeting at Lugogo
KCCA 1-0 Vipers
The corresponding encounter at the Startimes Stadium Lugogo, ended 1-0 in favour of KCCA courtesy of Muzamir Mutyaba’s strike in a tightly contested engagement which had all the ingredients of a classic match.
- Vipers first ever victory over the Kasasiro lads was registered on 28th September 2008 in a 3-1 win at Nakivubo stadium after 6 fruitless attempts from our debut season in the top flight division, it was courtesy of a brace by Yudah Mugalu and one from Samson Ceasar Okhuti while Brian Umony scored KCCA’s consolation strike.
- The Venoms have lost only 2 league fixtures out of the previous 11 meetings against the Kasasiro lads since the 2014/15 football season and in that particular spell, Vipers command 4 wins, 5 draws and 2 losses hence will try to maintain that superiority over their opponents.
- Vipers are currently occupying second position on the league log with 46 points out of the 21 matches played while KCCA are languishing in 4th position 9 points behind the Venoms having garnered 37 points from the same number of games.
- In their last fixtures, Vipers secured a crucial 4-0 victory away in Tororo against struggling MYDA in the last fixture while KCCA FC lost 2-0 at home to hard fighting Soltilo Brightstars as their faithful left Lugogo crestfallen.
- The last time both teams met, KCCA had Mike Mutebi as the Coach however, he has since been relinquished of those duties and his then Assistant Morley Byekwaso is the current gaffer as he tries to build on the club’s previous success under his former boss’ reign.
- KCCA and Vipers have made Uganda’s top flight league their own during the past eight years as they share all those league trophies since the 2012/13 season with 5 for the Kasasiro lads while the Venoms have 3 within the period, that is some dominance.
Miss if you must but these are the kinds of games which fills someone with fear, tension as well as excitement and if there was any other way matches could be determined other than on the field, both teams would definitely opt for that alternative however, since there is none, lets meet at Lugogo.
Copyright 2021 Vipers Sports Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.viperssc.co.ug as the source.