STARTIMES UGANDA PREMIER LEAGUE
Vipers SC v Express FC
Friday, April 23, 2021
St Mary’s Stadium, 4:00pm
Live on Sanyuka TV
Fresh from a disappointing goalless draw against Wakiso Giants FC, Vipers SC returns to the field this Friday for another mouth watering league fixture against Express FC at St Mary’s Stadium, Kitende.
Having picked just one point from their last two engagements against Mbarara City FC and Soltilo Bright Stars respectively, the Red Eagles will head into this fixture like wounded buffaloes as they look to keep in touch with the front runners.
The reality is, the visitors have endured difficult times on the pitch of recent as their results can testify in the previous fixtures however despite that, they are capable of causing havoc to any opposition on their good day.
As the Venoms prepare to host the Wankulukuku based side, we take you through key statistics regarding the previous league engagements between the two clubs.
– Vipers and Express are meeting for the 29th time in Uganda’s league history since 2006 when the Venoms joined the top flight division. We have won 14, drawn 9 and lost 6 with a return of 35 goals against 19.
Vipers wins: 14
Goals for: 35
– Out of the 15 meetings between the two teams at Vipers home, the Venoms have registered 11 wins, 2 draws and just 2 losses boasting 27 goals as well as conceding 8 in the process.
– Express FC has managed to beat Vipers only twice in the previous 20 league fixtures between the two clubs, drawn 8 and lost 10 since the 2009/2010 season.
– The corresponding encounter at St Mary’s Stadium Kitende, ended 3-0 in Vipers favour through a brace by Fahad Bayo and Brian Kalumba.
– Vipers first ever victory over Express occurred on November 22, 2007 when Tony Odur scored the only goal in a 1-0 win at Nakivubo stadium and the Venoms have gone on to dominate the fixture up to date.
– In the previous 5 matches hosted by Vipers, the four time league champions command superiority with 4 wins, no draws and only 1 loss to the Mukwano Gwa Bangi.
2015/16: Vipers 1-0 Express
2016/17: Vipers 0-1 Express
2017/18: Vipers 5-0 Express
2018/19: Vipers 2-0 Express
2019/20: Vipers 3-0 Express
– Vipers are currently leading the StarTimes Uganda Premier League log with 43 points out of the 19 matches played while Express are in 3rd place having garnered 37 points from the same number of games.
– Vipers lost their 100% home record this season in a 0-0 draw with Wakiso Giants FC in the last fixture while Express succumbed to Soltilo Bright Stars FC might in a 2-1 loss away at Kavumba.
– Dan Sserunkuma always reserves his best for Express as he has scored 5 goals during the previous three encounters at St Mary’s Stadium. He scored a hat trick in 2017/18 and a brace the following season.
– During their last visit, George Semwogerere was Express Coach but this game finds them under the guidance of Wasswa Bbosa and they are a rejuvenated side still in contention for the league title.
With 11 games to wind up the league, any result for Vipers than a win will definitely dent our title ambitions as we fight to retain the league crown.
Copyright 2021 Vipers Sports Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.viperssc.co.ug as the source.