STARTIMES UGANDA PREMIER LEAGUE
The Contest:- Vipers SC v Maroons FC
The Date:- February 26th, 2020
The Venue:- St Mary’s Stadium | 4:00pm
Enthusiastic football lovers will be treated to a fete of exhilarating soccer brand on Wednesday when the Venoms host Maroons at St Mary’s Stadium – Kitende in what promises to be a nail biting contest.
Both teams will be trying to recover from previous disappointing results as they have different missions with Vipers fighting for the league crown while Maroons battles to stay in the top flight division.
Its a must win situation to the two teams as any other result ruins their ambitions hence bound to be explosive. Vipers is desperate to find form and there is no more important time to turn sorrows away than the Maroons clash which incidentally is very key to the prison warders in their quest to beat the drop.
Ahead of the fixture, let’s take you through the key statistics regarding the teams previous meetings in their history.
- When Vipers host Maroons in a crunch Startimes Uganda Premier League tie, it will be the 14th time both teams are meeting in their 12 year history and looking at the journey statistically, the Venoms are far ahead having won 9 times, drawn on 4 occasions and lost none scoring 17 goals against 5 in the previous 13 league encounters between the two clubs.
Vipers wins: 9
Goals for: 17
- Both clubs have had change of names for rebranding purposes as Vipers was previously Bunamwaya SC until 2012 while Maroons won their two league titles in 1968 & 1969 as Prisons before changing to the current name in 2006.
- The first ever meeting between the two football clubs, occurred on January 6th, 2008 at Nakivubo stadium ending in a pulsating 1-1 draw as Tony Odur opened the score for Vipers before Ronald Atugonza levelled for Maroons and Wednesday will mark exactly 12 years & 51 days since our first meeting.
- Maroons will be seeking for their first ever win over Vipers in the league after managing only 4 draws in the previous 13 meetings losing all the rest.
- Despite having no victory in previous meetings, Maroons always gives us difficult times whenever we meet thus our ties are closely contested keeping fans of either side on toes as well as being hard to predict and its bound to be the same old story even this time basing on how desperate for points both teams are.
Previous 5 home meetings:
2010/11:- Vipers 1-0 Vipers
2011/12:- Vipers 1-0 Maroons
2015/16:- Vipers 1-0 Maroons
2017/18:- Vipers 1-1 Maroons
2018/19:- Vipers 2-0 Maroons
- The corresponding fixture at St Mary’s stadium ended 2-0 in Vipers favour courtesy of a Tom Masiko well taken goal and a brilliant Brian Nkuubi blockbuster from 40 yards to silence our stubborn opponents.
- In the first round encounter at Luzira, Maroons forfeited the match for using an ineligible Hannington Sebwalunyo though the fixture had ended in a 1-1 draw.
- Maroons are coming into this fixture in tensive moods as they lie in 13th position with 24 points 26 behind Vipers who lead the table log with 50 points, they lost 1-0 to Busoga United in their last fixture while the Venoms suffered a humiliating 3-1 loss to URA therefore both will be eager to return to winning ways.
This league tie therefore represents Fred Kajoba and his troops an opportune moment to bounce back in the quest to reclaim the league title thus It remains to be seen who will come out victorious as all roads should lead to Kitende for this mouthwatering clash.
Miss the tie if you must otherwise a titanic clash is on the cards and 4:30pm is the official kick off time.
Copyright 2020 Vipers Sports Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.viperssc.co.ug as the source.