February 21, 2020 | Arena of Visions 

URA FC 3-1 Vipers SC

(14’ Saidi Kyeyune, 18’ Daniel Isiagi, 73’ Rwothomio, 50’ Fahad Bayo)

On frustrating Friday evening, Vipers Sports Club were comprehensively outplayed and outscored by hosts Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) FC 3-1 in the StarTimes Uganda Premier League (SUPL) at the Arena of Visions in Ndejje.

Saidi Kyeyune, Daniel Isaigi and Cromwell Rwothomio did the damage in either stanza on a day Vipers were aiming to go 8 points clear, and instead we could only take home a consolation strike from striker Fahad Bayo in the 50th minute. 

But all that remained inconsequential as Vipers stay perched atop the log standings with 50 points, albeit having played a fixture more than the chasing pack that includes KCCA (45).

Coach Fred Kajoba made three changes to the team that shared the spoils with KCCA FC midweek. Paul Willa, who was an unused substitute was brought into the mix with Halid Lwalilwa out nursing a swollen toe while Paul Mucureezi and Karim Watambala replaced Tito Okello and Bobosi Byaruhanga respectively. 

But URA’s marauding midfielder Kyeyune broke the deadlock inside 14 minutes with a turn and finish off a Michael Birungi delivery before lanky forward Isiagi got at the end of a low cross from hard-working Joachim Ojera.

Quick substitutions

Both teams made early changes in the first half with Rahmat Ssenfuka getting off for Aziz Kayondo while URA’s Julius Mutyaba came on for Ivan Sserubiri as they looked to up the tempo.

URA custodian Alionzi Nafian denied Mucureezi towards the end of the first stanza with a fingertip save to ensure the Tax Collectors took a 2-0 advantage into the breather. 

The club’s leading marksman of the season Bayo, then, converted a penalty after returning midfielder Milton Karisa had been fouled in the area on 50 minutes to keep the Venoms believing that a possible comeback was on the cards.

Staying alive

But substitute Allan Kayiwa, who had replaced Innocent Wafula wasted a golden opportunity to level the scores when he had the goalkeeper to beat but Nafian stood tall.

Fabien Mutombora also played his part in helping Vipers stay alive with a point blank penalty stop off Rwothomio in the 70th minute. Paul Willa had handled in the area but he heaved a sigh of relief after, even, the resultant rebound from Kyeyune went into the heavens.

But four minutes later, another foul down the left by Willa resulted into a free kick which was swung in by Man of the Match Kyeyune and Rwothomio duly made up for his penalty miss with a free header to put the icing on the cake.

Coach Kajoba was left with nothing to do but throw his final dice. But not even the introduction of Umar Kyebatala for Mucureezi with 10 minutes on the clock could change anything as URA held on for another victory against a title-challenging side.


Our title hopes are still alive and our five points lead can be reduced to two points by our rivals KCCA FC if they beat Express FC. 


We return to Uganda Premier League action next week on Tuesday evening with a home game against Maroons FC. The match kicks off at 4:30pm as we look to bounce back to winning ways.

Vipers Starting XI

Fabien Mutombora, Paul Willa, Geoffrey Wasswa, Bashir Asiku, Innocent Wafula (48’ Allan Kayiwa), Rahmat Ssenfuka (19’ Aziz Kayondo), Siraje Ssentamu, Karim Watambala, Milton Karisa, Paul Mucureezi (80’ Umar Kyebatala), Fahad Bayo

Copyright 2020 Vipers Sports Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to as the source.