STARTIMES UGANDA PREMIER LEAGUE
The Date: February 21, 2020
The Contest: URA FC v Vipers SC
The Time: 4:00pm (Live On Sanyuka TV)
The Venue: Arena of Vision, Ndejje University
Just a day after an energy sapping encounter with KCCA, Vipers SC reconvene yet again for a titanic clash against bogey side URA FC this Friday at the Arena of Visions, Luweero district.
Its another fixture of equal significance as all the remaining games to the club’s quest of reclaiming the league trophy we last won two years ago under Portuguese tactician Miguel Da Costa, as any result other than victory, will be disastrous.
A win consolidates our grip on the StarTimes Uganda Premier League (SUPL) table summit while a draw complicates the equation well as a loss renews the chasers’ hopes.
Our title credentials thus face a stern test against a well oiled wounded opponent. It’s going to be a tough call especially if the previous outings with the hosts are anything to go by, however Vipers boosts of quality capable of overcoming any opposition.
- Vipers and URA are meeting for the 30th time in Uganda’s league history since 2006 when the Venoms joined the top flight division. We have won 6, drawn 11 and lost 12 with a return of 28 goals against 36.
Vipers wins: 6
Goals for: 28
- Out of the 14 meetings between the two teams at the tax collector’s home, the Venoms have registered 3 wins only, 8 draws and 4 losses scoring a meagre 14 goals as well as conceding 16 in the process.
- The corresponding encounter at Mandela national stadium Namboole, ended in a 1-1 stalemate when Dan Sserunkuma cancelled out Shafiq Kagimu’s opener however Friday’s fixture takes place at the Arena of Visions where URA shifted to at the start of the second round.
- Vipers first ever victory over URA occurred on April 25, 2011 in a 2-1 win after 11 fruitless attempts and URA has gone on to dominate the fixture up to date hence the Venoms have a huge task at hand.
- In the previous 5 matches hosted by URA, the three time league champions command only 1 win, 3 draws with 1 loss scoring 7 goals against 7.
2014/15: URA 2-2 Vipers
2015/16: URA 3-2 Vipers
2016/17: URA 1-1 Vipers
2017/18: URA 0-1 Vipers
2018/19: URA 1-1 Vipers
- Of all the 16 teams playing in Uganda’s top flight division currently, its only URA which holds a better head to head against the Venoms as they always inflict misery on us irrespective of any form they might be in.
- Vipers are occupying top position on the league log with 50 points out of the 22 matches played while URA are in 4th place sixteen points behind the Venoms having garnered 34 points from the same number of games.
- Vipers secured a crucial point in the last fixture against closest challengers KCCA at Kitende while URA suffered the wrath of Busoga United with a 3-0 loss at the Mighty Arena in Jinja.
- Shafiq Kuchi Kagimu always reserves his best for Vipers and will be the player to watch as he has scored 3 goals in the last four fixtures between both clubs and the tax collectors rise up to the occasion whenever the opponents are Vipers.
However all said, Sam Simbwa as a coach has beaten Vipers only once in the 2018/19 second round 2-1 defeat at Kitende. Therefore the Venoms can count on that statistic to make things clear come Friday.
Miss if you must but the place to be is the Arena of Visions, Ndejje.
Copyright 2020 Vipers Sports Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.viperssc.co.ug as the source.