StarTimes Uganda Premier League
The Contest: Vipers SC v KCCA FC
The Date: Tuesday, February 18, 2020
The Venue: St Mary’s Stadium, Kitende
The Time: 4:00pm (Live On Sanyuka TV)
All roads will lead to the St Mary‘s Stadium, Kitende when table leaders Vipers Sports Club host defending champions KCCA FC in a classic top of the league table encounter which will go a long way in determining the title destiny.
Both teams are the front runners in the StarTimes Uganda Premier League as its now evident one of them will be crowned champions come May hence whoever takes the day, tilts trophy chances in own favour.
By the look of things, Kitende won‘t be an ideal place for the faint hearted as the Kasasiro lads desperately labours to close the gap on the Venoms in a bid to win the league crown back to back having won it last season.
As it happens, 5 points separate Vipers from the garbage collectors as at match day 21 thus they will desperately fight for dear life to remain in contention as a loss almost distinguishes their title ambitions.
Ahead of this anticipated thriller, we take you through some interesting facts, figures and vital statistics related to the previous meetings between the two giants since 2006 when the Venoms joined the top flight division.
- KCCA and Vipers will be meeting for the 30th time in the league history and are on level grounds out of the previous 29 meetings each having 11 wins, 7 draws and 11 losses with the visitors slightly ahead in terms of goals with a total of 39 goals against 35 making it a -4 goal difference for the Venoms.
Vipers wins: 11
Goals for: 35
- Vipers SC started using St Mary’s stadium in March 2017 and out of the 2 league fixtures hosted at the venue since then, Vipers count 1 win, 1 draw and without a loss with a total of 4 goals against 3, however overall, the Venoms will be hosting KCCA FC for the 15th time.
Last 5 meetings at home:
2014/15:- Vipers 2-2 KCCA
2015/16:- Vipers 2-2 KCCA
2016/17:- Vipers 2-1 KCCA
2017/18:- Vipers 3-2 KCCA
2018/19:- Vipers 1-1 KCCA
- However overall, out of the 14 meetings between the two teams hosted by Vipers, the Venoms have registered 6 wins, 4 draws and 4 losses scoring 21 goals as well as conceding 22 in the process.
Last meeting at Kitende: Vipers 1-1 KCCA
The corresponding encounter at the St Mary’s stadium-Kitende, ended in a pulsating 1-1 draw after Filbert Obenchan cancelled out Dan Sserunkuuma’s spectacular opener before Saddam Juma missed a penalty which would have sealed three points for KCCA however, the Kasasiro lads eventually went on to lift their 13th league title.
- Vipers first ever victory over the Kasasiro lads was registered on September 28th, 2008 in a 3-1 win at Nakivubo stadium after 6 fruitless attempts from our debut season in the top flight division. It was courtesy of a brace by Yudah Mugalu and one from Samson Ceasar Okhuti while Brian Umony scored KCCA’s consolation strike.
- Vipers last lost a home game to KCCA during the 2010/11 first round encounter at Nakivubo stadium when Saaka Mpima, Israel Emuge and Ceasar Sapeo netted in a 3-1 win with our consolation coming from Saddam Juma but since then, the Kasasiro lads have never tested victory at our home in 8 attempts.
- Vipers are currently occupying top position on the league log with 49 points out of 21 matches played while KCCA are languishing in 2nd position 5 points behind the Venoms having garnered 44 points from the same number of games.
- Vipers secured a crucial 3-2 victory on the road against hard fighting BUL FC in the last fixture at Njeru technical centre through a Tito Okello hat-trick while KCCA FC overcame Maroons FC with 2-1 win to keep in touch with the Venoms.
- KCCA gaffer Mike Mutebi has been on a winning side against Vipers in the league, on 2 occasions losing 3 and drawing 4 out of the 9 meetings since he was appointed as the head coach hence will be looking for a third victory in 10 matches in a make or break encounter.
- KCCA won the first round encounter 1-0 at Lugogo through Muzamir Mutyaba thus will be looking for a third double over Vipers in the league history of the teams, the previous two occurred during the 2006 and 2006/07 football seasons.
- Odur Tony is the leading scorer in this fixture with 5 goals having scored 3 for KCCA against Vipers and 2 for the Venoms against the Kasasiro lads.
- However in the current squads, its only Mike Mutyaba who has achieved that feat having scored a brace in Vipers 2-2 all draw with KCCA at Buikwe in 2014 and the equaliser for the defending champions against the Venoms at Lugogo last season.
- Other scorers to have donned the two teams jerseys scoring for either side in this contest but not for both include Shaban Muhammed (4), Owen Kasule (2), Ceasar OKhuti (2), Saddam Juma (1), Tom Masiko (2), Erisa Ssekisambu (2), Hakim Senkumba (1) and Martin Muwanga (1)
- Both matches last season ended in identical 1-1 draws to record only the second time in the teams history when none of them won against the other, the first one was during the 2015/16 season when a 2-2 draw in Buikwe was followed by a 0-0 stalemate at Lugogo.
This is the kind of game suitable for neutrals as the faithful will be on tenterhooks throughout the entire duration of the match because its bound to be explosive therefore miss if you must but if not that, lets meet at Kitende.
Copyright 2020 Vipers Sports Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.viperssc.co.ug as the source.