StarTimes Uganda Premier League
Saturday (November 16, 2019)
KCCA FC v Vipers SC
StarTimes Stadium (Lugogo), 3:00pm
All roads will lead to the StarTimes stadium, Lugogo this Saturday when defending champions KCCA FC host table leaders Vipers Sports Club in a classic Uganda Premier League (UPL) encounter set to keep fans of either side on tip toes.
Its bound to be a nail biting contest as the Kasasiro Boys desperately labours to close the gap on the Venoms in a bid to retain the league crown after a disgraceful exit from the Caf Confederation Cup at the playoff round.
As it happens, 14 points separate Vipers from the garbage collectors though they have 4 games in hand thus will desperately stage a fight to remain in touch with the leaders. Therefore Lugogo won’t be an ideal place for the faint hearted come match day.
Ahead of this anticipated thriller, we take you through some interesting facts, figures and vital statistics related to the previous meetings between the two giants since 2006 when the Venoms joined the top flight division.
- KCCA and Vipers will be meeting for the 29th time in the league history and the Venoms are slightly ahead with a victory more than the hosts having 11 wins, 7 draws and 10 losses out of the previous 28 meetings, a total of 35 goals against 38 have been registered in the process making it a -3 goal difference.
Vipers wins: 11
Goals for: 35
- KCCA FC shifted to the StarTimes stadium, Lugogo during the 2012/13 football season and out of the 7 league fixtures hosted at the venue since then, Vipers counts 2 wins, 2 draws and 3 losses with a total of 7 goals against 8.
Last 5 meetings at Lugogo:
2014/15:- KCCA 0-2 Vipers
2015/16:- KCCA 0-0 Vipers
2016/17:- KCCA 1-2 Vipers
2017/18:- KCCA 3-1 Vipers
2018/19:- KCCA 1-1 Vipers
- However overall, out of the 14 meetings between the two teams hosted by KCCA FC, the Venoms have registered 5 wins, 3 draws and 6 losses scoring 14 goals as well as conceding 16 in the process.
Last meeting at Lugogo:
KCCA 1-1 Vipers
The corresponding encounter at the StarTimes Stadium, Lugogo, ended in a pulsating 1-1 draw after Brian Nkuubi’s spectacular first half opener was cancelled out by Mike Mutyaba’s second half leveller as KCCA maintained a 4 point lead then before they eventually went on to lift their 13th league title.
- Vipers first ever victory over the Kasasiro boys was registered on September 28, 2008 in a 3-1 win at Nakivubo stadium after 6 fruitless attempts from our debut season in the top flight division, it was courtesy of a brace by Yudah Mugalu and one from Samson Ceasar Okhuti while Brian Umony scored KCCA’s consolation strike.
- Vipers SC has lost only one league fixture out of the previous 10 meetings against KCCA, a 3-1 win during the 2017/18 first round tie at Lugogo when Shaban Muhammed netted a double on his debut and Derrick Nsibambi added the 3rd after Yayo Lutimba had equalised from the penalty mark, in that spell, the Venoms command four wins and five draws since the 2014/15 season.
- Vipers are currently occupying top position on the league log with 33 points out of the 12 matches played while KCCA are languishing in 5th position 14 points behind the Venoms having garnered 19 points from 9 games.
- Vipers secured a crucial 1-0 victory against visiting URA FC in the last fixture at Kitende through Dan Sserunkuma while KCCA FC overcame arch-rivals Express FC away in Wakiso with a resounding 3-1 win as Sadat Anaku, Mike Mutyaba plus an own goal by Muhammed Yiga did the damage.
- KCCA FC gaffer Mike Mutebi has been on a winning side against Vipers in the league, on only one occasion losing 3 and drawing 4 out of the 8 meetings since he was appointed as the head coach hence will be looking for a second victory in 9 matches.
- Both matches during last season ended in identical 1-1 draws to record only the second time in the teams history when none of them won against the other, the first one was during the 2015/16 season when a 2-2 draw at Buikwe was followed by a 0-0 stalemate in Lugogo.
Miss if you must but these are the kind of games which fill someone with fear, tension as well as excitement and if there was any other way matches could be determined other than on the field, both teams would definitely opt for that alternative however, since there is none, lets meet in Lugogo on Saturday.
Copyright 2019 Vipers Sports Club plc. Permission to use photos and quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.viperssc.co.ug as the source.