StarTimes Uganda Premier League
Tuesday (November 12)
Vipers SC v URA FC
St Mary’s Stadium | 4:30pm
Vipers Sports Club Uganda Premier League (UPL) campaign resumes on Tuesday after the weekend engagement with Maroons FC was called off due to a Cranes regional tour in the North East which involved a quartet of our players.
The Venoms prepare for the tax collectors visit with one question on their lips and thats how to overcome the jinx whenever we face them be it home or away hence this crunch clash means a lot in our quest to claim the league crown.
Our title credentials will thus face a stern test against URA and its going to be a tough call especially if the previous outings with the visiting opponents are anything to go by, however Vipers current squad boosts quality capable of overcoming any opposition.
Though they say history always repeats itself, but just like any other sport, football records are set to be broken and this is the right opportunity for the lads to stop URA’s dominance.
The reality is, despite wholesome recruitment changes at URA before the start of this season, results have been hard to come by however, basing on their good head to head record against us, they are capable of causing havoc to our ambitions.
- Vipers and URA are meeting for the 28th time in Uganda’s league history since 2006 when the Venoms joined the top flight division. We have won 5, drawn 11 and lost 12 with a return of 27 goals against 36.
Vipers wins: 5
Goals for: 27
- Out of the 14 meetings between the two teams at Vipers home, the Venoms have registered 3 wins only, 3 draws and 8 losses scoring a meagre 14 goals as well as conceding 20 in the process.
- The corresponding encounter at St Marys Stadium Kitende, ended 2-1 in URA’s favour after Shafiq Kagimu and Victor Kilama gave the tax collectors a two goal lead before Hamis Kizza pulled one back for Vipers.
- Vipers first ever victory over URA occurred on 28th April 2011 in a 1-0 win after 11 fruitless attempts and URA has gone on to dominate the fixture up to date hence the Venoms have a huge task at hand.
- In the previous 5 matches hosted by Vipers, the three time league champions command only 1 win, 2 draws with 2 losses scoring 6 goals against 7.
2014/15:- Vipers 2-2 URA
2015/16:- Vipers 1-1 URA
2016/17:- Vipers 1-0 URA
2017/18:- Vipers 1-2 URA
2018/19:- Vipers 1-2 URA
- Of all the 16 teams playing in Uganda’s top flight division currently, its only URA which holds a better head to head against the Venoms as they always inflict misery on us irrespective of any form they might be in.
- Vipers are occupying top position on the league log with 30 points out of the 12 matches played while URA are in 10th place sixteen points behind the Venoms having garnered 14 points from 10 games.
- Vipers secured a crucial 1-0 victory against Wakiso Giants in the last fixture at Kitende while URA overcame Police with the same scoreline at Njeru Technical centre.
- Shafiq Kuchi Kagimu reserves his best for Vipers as he has scored in both of URA’s two previous wins at St Marys Stadium and the tax collectors have never lost at Kitende on their two visits.
However all said, Sam Simbwa as a coach has beaten Vipers only once in last season’s 2-1 defeat. Therefore, the Venoms can count on that statistic to make things clear come Tuesday, miss if you must.
Copyright 2019 Vipers Sports Club plc. Permission to use photos and quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.viperssc.co.ug as the source.