StarTimes Uganda Premier League
Saturday, November 2nd, 2019
Busoga United v Vipers SC
The Mighty Arena, Jinja, 4:00pm
Vipers sports club take on Busoga United at the Mighty Arena in Jinja on Saturday, knowing how crucial a win would be in consolidating our continued stay at the table summit as we edge towards the end of the first round.
The Venoms visit somewhat of a bogey side this weekend, well drilled and awkward to play against, at a ground where we have never won hence it will be no walkover as the lads seek to remain top.
- When Vipers visits Busoga United in that StarTimes Uganda Premier League clash, it will mark the 7th time both teams are meeting in their three year history and looking at the previous fixtures, the Venoms are ahead having won 3 times, drawn on 2 occasions and lost just 1 scoring 7 goals against 4 in the previous 6 league encounters between the two clubs.
Vipers wins: 3
Goals for: 7
- Both clubs have had change of names for rebranding purposes as Vipers was previously Bunamwaya SC until 2012 while Busoga United joined the top flight league during the 2016/2017 football season as Kiriinya Jinja S.S football club before changing to the current name prior to the start of this season.
- The first ever meeting between the two football clubs, occurred on October 18th, 2016 at Nakivubo war ll memorial stadium ending in a 1-0 victory for Vipers courtesy of Tony Odur and Saturday will mark exactly 3 years, 15 days since that meeting.
- Busoga United’s only triumph over Vipers came during their debut season 2016/17 in the second round 1-0 win played on March 31st, 2017 at Kakindu Stadium and it was very crucial in a sense that it sustained their stay in the top flight league as a loss would have instead contributed to their relegation to the Fufa Big League.
- Looking back at the previous meetings in Jinja against the students, we have never beaten them thus will be seeking for our first win over them on a fourth attempt hence its bound to be a nerve cracking encounter where anything can happen.
Previous 3 away meetings against Busoga United:
2016/17:- Busoga United 1-0 Vipers
2017/18:- Busoga United 1-1 Vipers
2018/19:- Busoga United 2-2 Vipers
- Another important thing to note, the above away encounters have been played on different grounds spread across Jinja, in 2017 it was at Kakindu stadium while in May 2018, Bugembe stadium hosted the fixture and in November the same year, the match was at the Mighty Arena.
- The corresponding fixture at the Mighty Arena on October 30th, 2018, ended in a 2-2 all draw after Joel Madondo’s brace one in each half cancelled out Vipers earlier strikes through Noah Wafula and Dan ‘Muzeeyi’ Sserunkuma.
- Vipers are coming into this fixture in bouyant mood as we lead the 16-team table with 24 points, 8 ahead of Busoga United who lie in 5th position. They defeated Express 2-1 away in their last fixture while the Venoms saw off Kyetume United in a hard fought 2-1 victory at Namboole stadium.
- The Venoms are on a run of 13 matches unbeaten since the 2-1 loss to URA last season, we have won 10 games, drawing only 3 with 21 goals scored against 7 in the process.
- While away from home, our last loss was a 1-2 against relegated Ndejje University in March and since then, we have played 8 games, winning 5, drawing 3 without any defeat with 12 goals scored against 5.
It thus remains to be seen whether Coach Edward Golola and his troops will finally secure our first victory against Busoga United on the road. Therefore all roads lead to Jinja for this titanic clash as we try to continue with the impressive start to the season.
Copyright 2019 Vipers Sports Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.viperssc.co.ug as the source.