StarTimes Uganda Premier League
Vipers Vs Express
Saturday, October 12th, 2019
St Mary’s Stadium, 3:00pm
Fresh from earning a crucial victory over Police at the StarTimes stadium, Vipers return to the field this Saturday for another mouth watering league fixture against Express FC at St Mary’s Stadium Kitende.
Having won their two previous encounters against Kyetume FC and Police FC respectively, the Red Eagles will head into this fixture with high spirits as they look to ascend further on the league log.
The reality is, the visitors have been facing difficult times on the pitch as their results can testify however despite that, they are traditional giants in Ugandan football hence capable of causing havoc to any opposition on their good day.
As the Venoms prepare to host the Wankulukuku based side, we take you through key statistics regarding the previous league engagements between the two clubs.
- Vipers and Express are meeting for the 28th time in Uganda’s league history since 2006 when the Venoms joined the top flight division. We have won 13, drawn 9 and lost 6 with a return of 32 goals against 19.
Vipers wins: 13
Goals for: 32
- Out of the 14 meetings between the two teams at Vipers home, the Venoms have registered 10 wins, 2 draws and just 2 losses boasting 24 goals as well as conceding 8 in the process.
- Express FC has managed to beat Vipers only twice in the previous 20 league fixtures between the two clubs, drawn 8 and lost 10 since the 2009/2010 season.
- The corresponding encounter at St Mary’s Stadium Kitende, ended 2-0 in Vipers favour through a brace by Dan ‘Muzeeyi’ Sserunkuma.
- Vipers first ever victory over Express occurred on 22nd November 2007 when Tony Odur scored the only goal in a 1-0 win at Nakivubo stadium and the Venoms have gone on to dominate the fixture up to date.
- In the previous 5 matches hosted by Vipers, the three time league champions command 4 wins, no draws with only 1 loss to Mukwano gwa bangi.
2014/15 Vipers 1-0 Express
2015/16 Vipers 1-0 Express
2016/17 Vipers 0-1 Express
2017/18 Vipers 5-0 Express
2018/19 Vipers 2-0 Express
- Vipers are currently lying in 4 position on the league log with 14 points out of the six matches played while Express are in 7th place having garnered 10 points from 8 games.
- Vipers came from a goal down before securing a 3-1 victory against Police in the last fixture while Express thumped the same opponents 5-3 at Wankulukuku.
- Dan Sserunkuma reserves his best for Express as he has scored 5 goals during the two encounters at St Mary’s Stadium, he scored a hat trick in 2017/18 and a brace last season.
Though its still early days, any result than a win may definitely dent our title ambitions as we try to reclaim the league crown.
Copyright 2019 Vipers Sports Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.viperssc.co.ug as the source.