StarTimes Uganda Premier League

Tuesday’s Result

Vipers SC 1-0 Tooro United FC

Vipers sports club have been made to work even harder than in Friday’s win at Bright Stars as we sealed a vital narrow victory at home to Tooro United FC.

In the absence of head coach Edward Golola down with malaria, assistant coach Richard Wasswa opted for two changes starting Innocent Wafula and Ibrahim Tembo ahead of Allan Kayiwa and Siraje Ssentamu respectively.

Lining up three former Venoms in John Semazzi, Ibrahim Kayiwa and Steven Luswata with Meddie Kibirige on the bench, the car dealers were always going to be hard nuts to crack as such players give everything to prove a point.

Taking on a Tooro United side who defeated Busoga United 2-1 in their opening game, was clearly a tough challenge for Vipers and despite a difficult afternoon, they prevailed as we moved to the league top.

The visitors got off to a blistering start as burly striker Steven Omvia forced an early save from Fabien Mutombora within just 4 minutes after being released by Godfrey Lwesibawa who was a real thorn in our flesh.

Abraham Ndugwa went closer shortly with a perfect run following a pass from Fahad Bayo but his close range shot was somehow thwarted by Musa Mukasa.

Vipers had another scare in the 18th minute after Tembo gave the ball away to Kayiwa who filtered a defence splitting pass to Lwesibawa whose hesitation to shoot, allowed the Venoms a timely recovery.

Kayiwa almost put the visitors ahead in the 26th minute after a period of sustained possession but Mutombora stood firm with a fine save while Lwesibawa’s effort from the rebound met Halid Lwaliwa’s nice block onto the upright before eventually going out for a corner which yielded nothing as the Venoms were forced into a 0-0 draw heading into half time.

The second half began with a change as Wasswa Bbosa brought on Charles Musige for Semazzi but Vipers returned a better side after the break as they started to dictate matters.

Another remarkable incident happened as Referee Brian Miiro Nsubuga dished out two yellow cards to Farouk Musisi in quick succession forgetting to send him off and it took the intervention of fourth official Ali Sabila to rectify the mistake as the left back finally went for an early shower.

Desperate times call for desperate measures hence Richard Wasswa opted for changes bringing on Kayiwa, Ssentamu and Denis Mwemezi for Wafula, Ndugwa and Dan Serunkuma respectively while on the opposite side, Yafesi Mubiru joined the fray replacing Luswata.

Immediately after coming on, Kayiwa made his presence felt beating the entire Tooro United defence but not Crispas Kusiime in goal.

Tempers flared in the 77th minute as Vipers earned a free kick closer to the visitors bench which Wasswa Bbosa protested forcing the referee to send him off, no sooner had he gone down the stairs, than Paul Willa curled a swinging ball into the area which Bayo nodded past Kusiime for the only goal of the match.

With two minutes added, Mutombora found himself in the referee’s book for time wasting while Isa Lumu and Yafesi Mubiru were also booked earlier while Rahmat Ssenfuka picked up the man of the match award as Vipers sealed a second win out of two to move top.

Next up on the Vipers menu, is a home game against BUL at St Marys stadium on Saturday 7th September 2019 at 4:00pm, miss if you must.

Line Ups:

Vipers XI:- Fabien Mutombora (GK), Paul Willa, Farouk Musisi, Bashir Asiku, Halid Lwaliwa, Rahmat Ssenfuka, Ibrahim Tembo, Innocent Wafula, Fahad Bayo, Dan Sserunkuma & Abraham Ndugwa.

Tooro United FC XI:- Crispas Kusiime (GK), Musa Mukasa, Isa Lumu, Mike Kawooya, Arthur Kiggundu, Paddy Muhumuza, Steven Luswata, Ibrahim Kayiwa, Steven Omvia, Godfrey Lwesibawa & John Ssemazzi.