StarTimes Uganda Premier League

Saturday Result

Vipers 1-0 BUL FC

We climaxed the 2018/19 with a smile winning 1-0 over a physical BUL FC side at the St Mary’s Stadium, Kitende.

Brian Nkuubi Ssemakula’s rich vein of form continued with a stunning trade mark long range shot into the roof of the net as the second half commenced.

The Venoms kick-started the game on a high note with the intention to kill off the game in the opening stages.

After six minutes, Duncan Sseninde dispossessed right back Jamal Buchochera to cross for Daniel Sserunkuma who headed poorly before the BUL goalkeeper Hannington Ssebwalunyo collected the ball with ease.

Masiko shot the side netting from an acute on the right on 12 minutes. BUL’s first attempt arrived at the quarter hour mark when midfielder Yunus Sibira had a shot deflected for their first corner.

The visitors remained on the offensive when winger Douglas Timothy Owori had a cross from the left headed out for safety concerns by Yayo Lutimba in the 17th minute.

The first booking for center referee Joseph Masembe who was making his debut in the league as a center referee was given to Yunus Sibira for a high boot challenge on Masiko after 18 minutes.

Five minutes later, it was Vipers left back Lutimba cautioned for a foul on BUL winger James Otim.

Three minutes to the half hour mark, BUL right back Buchochera had a cross delivery from right hit the side netting.

A minute later, the visitors were once again on the offensive.

This time round, Owori shot on target but the goalkeeper Derrick Ochan was equal to the task at hand.

In the 33rd minute, Owori had a heavy cross from the left settle above the Vipers’ goal nets in virtually the final threatening moment for the two sides on the sunny evening.

When the second half arrived, BUL was forced into two early changes with a double substitution.

Fadili Malijan and Charles Ssebutinde were introduced for Owori and Deogracious Ojok respectively.

It took Vipers three minutes into the second half to take the lead when Nkuubi’s moment of brilliance arrived.

The midfielder who is accustomed with long range shots was once again on the spot, scoring a stunner from over 40 yards with goalkeeper Ssebwalunyo napping.

BUL missed the opportunity to equalize in the 55th minute when Sibira missed connect with Hakim Magombe’s inviting free-kick on the left.

Vipers rested diligent captain Tadeo Lwanga for striker Steven Mukwala as Nkuubi took over the on field team leadership duties as he wore the arm band.

On the hour mark, Mukwala combined with Masiko on the right but the latter’s cross cum shot was disappointing.

Two minutes later, Wandyaka was denied by Vipers’ goalkeeper Ochan from close range, but in an acute angle on the left.

Abraham Ndugwa was introduced for the pedestrian Dan Sserunkuma to add spark up front.

Ndugwa needed only two minutes on the field to make an impact.

His shot from a distance was spilled by goalie Ssebwalunyo who then reacted so fast to collect the ball before a rebound shot could be delivered.

The third and final change for the Venoms arrived 12 minutes from full time.

Striker Hamis Diego Kiiza was introduced for Tom Masiko to add more pressure upfront in a bid to kill off the game.

The pressure nearly paid off two minutes later but winger Sseninde’s laid ball was easily collected up by goalie Ssebwalunyo.

On the break, Richard Wandyaka had a decent shot on target saved by goalkeeper Ochan who also smiled home with the Pilsner man of the match accolade that comes with Shs 100,000.

Vipers XI:

  • Derrick Ochan (G.K)
  • Innocent Wafula
  • Yayo Kato Lutimba
  • Livingstone Mulondo
  • Henry Katongole
  • Tadeo Lwanga (Steven Mukwala)
  • Tom Masiko (Hamis Diego Kiiza)
  • Ibrahim Tembo
  • Brian Nkuubi
  • Dan Sserunkuma (Abraham Ndugwa)
  • Duncan Sseninde