Stanbic Uganda Cup

Tuesday’s Result

Proline 2-1 Vipers (AET)

Vipers sports club failed to book a Stanbic Uganda Cup semifinal slot with a disappointing display as they fell to Fufa Big League side Proline FC 2-1 after extra time at the StarTimes Stadium Lugogo.

This elimination completely distinguished the club’s quest of winning a double which eluded us last season when we fell 1-0 to KCCA FC in the final at Bukedea Emokori grounds having wrapped up the league earlier.

Coach Micheal Nam Ouma selected a strong team as he made only two changes to the lineup that started against Ndejje University replacing Fabien Mutombora with Derrick Ochan while Abraham Ndugwa started ahead of Rahmat Ssenfuka.

The Venoms suffered an early setback when the hosts took the lead against the run of play as Ibrahim Tembo hesitated to clear a stray ball in the area which Noordin Bunjo robbed to shoot past Ochan in the 23rd minute.

Moments later Vipers almost got the equaliser when Steven Mukwala headed Innocent Wafula’s corner over the bar narrowly missing the target with just inches.

However, the more the lads kept searching for the leveler, Proline continued to find spaces utilising them to effect though Halid Lwaliwa’s commanded defence stood firm keeping the lead within reach.

Dan Sserunkuuma forced a save from the Proline goalkeeper Hassan Matovu in the 36th minute following a brilliant piece of work by Aziz Kayondo before he released the diminutive forward whose on target shot was tipped over the bar.

Towards the breather, Ouma brought on Moses Waiswa for Mukwala in trying to change proceedings within the midfield which Proline had completely dominated as they were allowed to dictate matters without any harassment.

HT: Proline 1-0 Vipers

Determined to get back into the game, Vipers returned for the second half a different side as they kept pressing and Ouma made a second substitution when Hamis Kiiza joined the fray replacing Ndugwa.

In the 52nd minute, Waiswa’s goal bound strike deflected off Mustapha Mujuzi beating the goalkeeper Matovu flat but went out for a corner that yielded nothing as frustration grew.

Ochan came to Vipers rescue in the 62nd minute when he made a point blank save from Ivan Bogere after a corner before Tembo volleyed it to safety as far as Tito Okello who paced Saaka Mpiima to lay for Sserunkuuma who kicked it off a defender and out.

It continued to be an end to end affair with both teams attacking and in one of Proline’s counter attack, Ochan made another save.

With 15 minutes to the end, Ibrahim Kiyemba forced a save from Matovu with a hard strike and from the resultant corner, Tadeo Lwanga connected with a powerful header for the equaliser.

Hair raising moments ensued in the closing stages of the game as both teams looked for the decisive winner which never came as the referee Nasser Muhammad called for extra time.

Normal time: Proline 1-1 Vipers

Extra time:

Ouma made his third change at the start of extra time pulling off injured Taddeo for Rahmat Ssenfuka who had a fair game.

The lads took off with a high tempo and immediately after kick off, Vipers earned a corner on the right which Innocent floated into the area to meet Halid’s header hitting the upright with the rebound falling to Sserunkuma who failed to connect.

Vipers continued to go forward as the hosts looked to have worn out and in one of the attacks, Ssenfuka released Waiswa with a brilliant through ball but his final delivery let him down as it went out for a goal kick.

Kiiza put the ball in the net only to be wrongly disallowed for offside and just a few minutes later Proline took the lead as Ochan failed to meet a cross from the right which Ibrahim Bonyo headed in the far corner of the net.

As full time approached, Waiswa hit the wood work from a free kick after Saaka brought down Serunkuuma on the forbidden area edge and it marked Vipers last assault on goal as we bowed out.

The StarTimes Uganda Premier League now remains our only hope for silverware this season as we host Maroons after the international break on Tuesday 27th March 2019.

How Vipers lined up:

Derrick Ochan

Ibrahim Kiyemba

Aziz Kayondo

Ibrahim Tembo

Halid Lwaliwa

Taddeo Lwanga (Rahmat Ssenfuka)

Tito Okello

Dan Sserunkuma

Innocent Wafula

Steven Mukwala (Moses Waiswa)

Abraham Ndugwa (Hamis Kiiza)

One reply on “Vipers exit Uganda Cup”

Comments are closed.