StarTimes Uganda Premier League
Friday (February 1st, 2019)
Vipers SC v Express FC
St Mary’s stadium | 4PM
Fresh from a tiresome and energy sapping journey in Arua, Vipers sports club reconvene yet again for another anticipated nail biting Startimes Uganda Premier League encounter against ‘Mukwano Gwa Bangi’ Express FC this Friday at St Mary’s stadium.
Its bound to be a nerve cracking contest as Vipers run neck to neck with table leaders KCCA in what is gradually shaping into a two horse league race as we head towards the final bend.
As usual, ahead of this fixture, we take you through the key statistics, facts, figures and anything there is to know about both teams meetings in the league since 2006 when Vipers joined the top flight division.
- Vipers and Express will be meeting for the 28th time in the league with the Venoms in a commanding lead having 12 wins, 9 draws and just 6 losses out of the previous 27 encounters.
Vipers wins: 12
Goals for: 30
- One match between the two teams got abandoned when Express fans pelted Referee Ali Kalyango with stones forcing discontinuation of the engagement on 29th August 2008 at Nakivubo stadium after Tony Odur’s goal sparked off violent scenes. The league organisers later found The Red Eagles guilty thus losing that match by forfeiture.
- The first round fixture at Wankulukuku stadium ended in a 1-1 draw after Tito Okello scored at the death to cancel out Tony Odur’s opener via a penalty thus Vipers won’t add on the double victory record over Express as it stays at two.
Previous doubles over Express:
2010/11: Vipers 2-1 Express
Express 0-1 Vipers
2017/18: Express 1-2 Vipers
Vipers 5-0 Express
- Only four encounters out of the previous 27 meetings, have ended in 0-0 draws implying this fixture always produce goals therefore expect the same when the two giants face.
- Tony Odur now at Express, is the leading goal scorer in the league engagements between the two clubs with 10 goals to his name. He scored 6 for Vipers out of 10 matches against Express while has 4 for the Red Eagles against the Venoms from 5 matches.
- Out of the 13 league fixtures Vipers has hosted Express, the Venoms have won 9, drawn 2 and lost 2 matches scoring 19 goals and conceding 9 in the process.
Previous 5 at Vipers home:
2013/14: Vipers 1-0 Express
2014/15: Vipers 1-0 Express
2015/16: Vipers 1-0 Express
2016/17: Vipers 0-1 Express
2017/18: Vipers 5-0 Express
- Previously, its only once during the 2011/12 when both first and second round fixtures have ended in 1-1 draws. will history repeat itself or will the Venoms continue with the dominance.
- Vipers come into this fixture on the back of a frustrating away draw against Onduparaka while Express battled past Ndejje University with a 1-0 scoreline away in Luweero.
- Should the Venoms prevail over Express, they will temporarily move level on 45 points with table leaders KCCA FC who will be playing a day later against SC Villa.