Vipers Sports Club completed the signing of striker Hamis ‘Diego’ Kiiza for six months subject to an extension on a free transfer from Ethiopia’s Fasil Kenema FC where he has been plying his trade during the past year.
He becomes the club’s second signing in the January transfer window after Kenyan import Innocent Wafula who joined earlier and has already registered some appearances in the red jersey.
Diego as he is popularly known, has firmly established himself as one of the most prolific forwards in Uganda, the way he deploys speed with clever positioning on the last line of defence is fantastic.
The 29 year old striker, arrives at Kitende with an impressive goal scoring record and a vast amount of top flight league experience, his footballing career began at Nalubaale FC in 2007 before URA snatched him in 2009.
The moments of brilliance at the tax collectors, caught the eye of Yanga from Tanzania who eventually signed him in 2011 where he spent four successful years.
In 2015, Kiiza left Yanga to join bitter rivals Simba where he played for one year then moved to Free State Stars of South Africa and had a brief return at URA in 2017 enroute to El Hilal Obeid of Sudan the same year.
A series of issues disrupted his short lived stay at the Sudanese club hence he moved to Fasil Kenema FC where he has been at the time of recruitment by the three time league champions.
With Vipers attack looking blunt through out the first round, the pacey striker’s experience will add value to the team and having trained at Kitende for two weeks, he could be part of the squad travelling to Mbarara for a league match against Nyamityoboora on Tuesday at Kakyeeka stadium.
- Full name: Hamis Kiiza
- DOB: 10th October 1990 (29yrs)
- Birth place: Mulago
- Height: 5 ft 10 in
- Position: Forward
- Nalubaale: July 2007 – July 2009
- URA: July 2009 – July 2011
- Yanga (Tz): July 2011 – Feb 2015
- Simba (Tz): Feb 2015 – Aug 2016
- Free State Stars (SA): Aug 2016 – Jan 2017
- URA: Jan 2017 – May 2017
- El Hilal Obeid (Sudan): May 2017 – March 2018
- Fasil Kenema FC ( Ethiopia): March 2018 – Aug 2018
- Uganda Premier League winner 2010/11 – URA
- Top scorer, Uganda Premier League 2010/11 – URA
- Top scorer Tanzania Premier League 2012 – Yanga
- Cecafa Kagame Cup winner: 2011 & 2012 – Yanga
- Top scorer Cecafa Kagame Cup: 2012 – Yanga