StarTimes Uganda Premier League
Vipers SC v Mbarara City FC
St Mary’s Stadium | 4PM
After encounter with bogey side URA yesterday at Namboole stadium, Vipers Sports Club to action in yet another Startimes Uganda Premier League home fixture against Mbarara City FC tomorrow.
The Venoms spirited 1-1 draw at URA, reduced the deficit on KCCA FC’s lead to six points with a game in hand and it was also proof that we remained right in the league championship race though the lads were slightly disappointed not to come away victors.
Unbeaten in the last 31 league outings represents a good run of form but Micheal Nam Ouma’s side cannot afford to rest on their laurels when the Ankole lions visit Kitende, its a do-or-die match.
Vipers are stronger on paper and the home crowd should also give their performance an extra edge on what will be a tense afternoon as the Western Uganda team will also be looking to go level on points with the Venoms.
After surviving relegation from the top flight division last season, Mbarara City find themselves 3rd on the league table with 27 points 3 behind Vipers hence a win boosts their own chances.
Mbarara City are one of the league most in-form side having lost three matches out of the 14 played so far with Coach Livingstone Mbabazi adding steel to what is a talented squad.
Head to Head:
This is going to be the 3rd meeting between both sides with Vipers in command having won the previous two engagements 1-0 away in Mbarara and 2-0 at Kitende thus the Ankole lions are yet to score against the Venoms in the league.
Last meeting: Vipers 2-0 Mbarara City
On 20th February 2018, Vipers hosted the Ankole lions on match day 18 and a man of match performance from Dan Muzeeyi Serunkuuma aided the Venoms to a 2-0 victory as he scored a brace in the 11th and 24th minute to seal a vital win enroute to the league crown.
FIFA referee Mashood Ssali was in charge of that nail-biting encounter which saw him caution Nicholas Wadada (Vipers), Sam Kansiime and Hillary Mukundane both of Mbarara City as he tried to cool tempers in a hotly contested fixture.
- Halid Lwaliwa has been ruled out of this encounter with a rib injury but he will be back in time for the next home game against Kirinnya – Jinja.
- Center back Henry Katongole replaces Lwaliwa and if fielded will make his debut since joining the team from SC Villa.
- Tom Masiko has fever hence will not be available but youngster Ibrahim Tembo has been again named in the squad.
- Bashir Asiku is out with an ankle injury and his return date is yet to be known.
- Rahmat Ssenfuka who put up a man of the match performance in the 1-1 draw with URA FC yesterday is expected to keep his place in the starting lineup.
Vipers – Last 5 league results
- Drew 1-1 with URA
- Beat Onduparaka 3-0
- Drew 0-0 against Brightstars
- Drew 0-0 versus Tooro United
- Won 3-1 against BUL
Mbarara City: Last 5 league results
- Won 3-0 versus Kiriinya
- Drew 0-0 against Onduparaka
- Beat Brightstars 2-1
- Lost 1-0 to Tooro United
- Drew 1-1 with URA
“We know how vital it use every chance to our advantage because Mbarara City equally a good opponent. We have not lost at home this season and we hope to play a better game”Assistant Captain Geofrey Wasswa, ahead of the Mbarara City FC game.